Friday, May 18, 2018

My Last Friday Here

Well, after spending the last 24 years in what I have adopted as my hometown, it is my last Friday here. I feel excited and nervous and proud and stressed, and I am somewhat in disbelief. After years and years of devastation, what my husband and I have been working toward for the last three years is right around the corner.

When I first decided we were moving, I thought, okay, well let's just pack everything up and get out of here. But then as I thought about the logistics more (where are we moving to? how will we get there? where will we live? where will we get jobs?), I realized I wanted a new career. Then, by chance, I saw a video that inspired me to apply to school. You all know my story: I worked hard to meet the application requirements, I somehow made the application deadline, I waited, I got in, we moved into a rental, we fixed up and sold our house, and I went back to school. And I thought all THAT was hard. This past week alone has been extremely difficult--lots to do, think about, and coordinate.

Once I decided we were moving, I didn't understand why everyone didn't do it. "Why doesn't everyone just move?" I thought. Yeah... "Just" move. I am totally rolling my eyes at myself over that one. There is no "just" about anything related to major life changes.

Moving is HARD. I thought it would be, but there is nothing like experiencing something to know your thoughts were right. It's hard, but it will be worth it. I think... Haha.

Last Saturday I had a going away get together. I had to call it a "get together" because calling it a "party" would have made me too anxious. The get together was great. I saw people I hadn't seen in years. Since I told everyone a month ahead of time, a lot of people were able to make arrangements to come or to at least stop by. I even saw one of my best friends from high school who just had her baby a month ago. It was her first outing since the baby, and I am so happy she made the time and had the energy for it.

At one point, I sat back and looked at everyone and thought, "Where was everyone?? Where was everyone when I was feeling so lonely and depressed?" But that's not exactly fair to them. They were busy. We all are busy. There's work schedules and traffic patterns and family commitments and a gross lack of free time that when you finally get a moment to yourself you just want to watch tv for an hour and fall asleep. They were always all there. They were all a phone call or a text away. They were all within an hour's drive. There was just no reaching me at that time. I was so traumatized and profoundly sad that no amount of support could have alleviated my pain.

I am so thankful, so incredibly thankful. For the opportunity to change careers. For my friends from different parts of my life coming together to eat, drink, and be merry last Saturday. For the chance to move to a new place that will be a better fit for my husband and me and our new lives.

But I understand now why everyone doesn't "just" move. There is a lot to it. There is a lot to coordinate and, plus, it costs more than I realize. Everything about the process is stressful. But we are getting through it; we are doing it. One step at a time, one box at a time.

I miss my children. Always and every day. I carry them in my heart in all that I do.

Thank you all for your love, laughter, and support. I cannot accurately express how much you all have helped me. Now I'm off to pack some more... Apparently, my stuff isn't going to pack itself!

9 comments:

  1. Wishing you a successful packing! And a beautiful new happy fresh start!
    sending you lots of love from sLOVEnia,
    Klara

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Klara! I'll be glad when this packing part is over!! :)

      Delete
  2. Moving would be so much easier if stuff did pack itself! lol

    Wishing you the very best for the big move. How exciting that you're now so close.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It was another exhausting day, but the end is in sight. I don't want to complain because it's such an opportunity, but... I also want to complain lol. No one ever says moving is fun. ;)

      Delete
  3. Happy packing... moving is the pits, but then you get to create everything anew in your new space! I love, love, love this: "There was just no reaching me at that time. I was so traumatized and profoundly sad that no amount of support could have alleviated my pain." I can totally understand this. There was a time where nothing anyone could say would be "right," where I was so hurt that there was no reaching me. Thank you for putting words to this. I am excited for your new beginning, and feel for all you hold with you as you move forward in life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jess. I'm glad I could put something into words for you because you have done that for me many times. <3 Thank you for being excited with me. This move is so big and so hard and I have significantly less energy each day, but I am still excited. All of the hard work (school, grieving, coordinating the actual move) from the last several years is going to be worth it.

      Delete
  4. Packing and moving is exciting, but also exhausting. I remember from last summer :-). But it is so worth it. I don't regret it a bit.
    Good luck and a very happy start in your new home!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for encouragement from the other side of moving! I'm glad to hear you don't regret it a bit. I am definitely looking forward to getting settled in a completely new place. :)

      Delete
  5. Yep, moving is hard!! I knew that from moving around so much as a kid, and it's why I resisted when dh wanted to move across the city and into a condo. In retrospect, we did need the change, and once we got here, we did have some fun -- but getting here, oy...!

    It's one week since you posted this, and I'm hoping you are starting to settle into your new home! Wishing you all the best! :)

    ReplyDelete