Thursday, February 21, 2019

Forgiving Myself

I've been crying more than usual lately. I haven't been feeling my best, and I've just been overall a little sad. January, February, and March have always seemed hard since I quit fertility treatments. This is the time period that I was going through IVF. This three-month period has felt pretty melancholy for the past five years now.

But I was getting mad at myself. Why was I crying so often?
Was I ever going to stop crying about this topic??

I didn't realize how mad I was until I realized that I forgave myself.
I forgave myself for being emotional and, after being reminded to do so by a friend, I extended grace to myself, allowing myself to feel everything I was feeling without judgment.

Life can be HARD.

Yes, I worked my mind, spirit, and butt off to come up with a life that I wanted to live and then I did everything I had to do in order to make it happen and now it's here.

But I still continue to be freaking exhausted.
But I'm also really happy.

I'm finishing up my final step so I can start my new career and I'll be able to start looking for a job soon. I'm meeting new people and going to new places and doing new things. But the world is very, very fertile. So fully participating in life again comes at the cost of having to deal with reminders of what all I've lost. Simple conversations with great new friends can unexpectedly catch me off guard and hurt me deeply. I tuck my pain away in a safe place to process later when I am alone. Hence, the recent uptick in crying...


I forgive myself for still being sad. I allow myself to continue to grieve.

I'm proud of myself for putting myself out there, for getting involved and interacting with the rest of the world again.

I'm also giving myself permission to cry. It's a lot to deal with; it's a lot to process. There are so many layers to living without children after infertility.

I was mad at myself, but I'm not anymore. What initially looked like regression to me is actually progress. It's a new chapter in my life and I am forging ahead.


12 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you forgave yourself and gave yourself permission to feel your feelings, as well as recognizing all you've accomplished and have going for yourself now. Sending lots of positive thoughts for your career and job search. If you would like support in those areas, I am a career counselor and work with many clients remotely (over video chat and phone/email coaching). :) Either way, you've worked hard and deserve great success!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the offer of help! It's nice to know I have your support. I'll give the job search the old college try, but if I'm not successful after a bit, I have no problem asking for help. Thanks again! :)

      Delete
  2. dear Phoenix, I couldn't agree more: There are so many layers to living without children after infertility.
    Tears are good. Crying & being sad are just part of the healing process.
    Sending you a big hug and lots of love from sLOVEnia,
    Klara

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So many layers... And I've got some other stuff going on that I haven't been able to put into words yet... But I will share here when I can articulate it.

      I agree. Tears are good. They are healing.

      I will continue to keep showing up in my life and doing my best. The good news is, with the upcoming job search, I am that much closer to getting a job and saving up for a trip to Slovenia! <3

      Delete
    2. I am looking forward to your visit <3
      I live very close to our capital: https://www.visitljubljana.com/en/visitors/
      so it is easy to find me :)

      Delete
  3. Yes, my friend. Still being sad and grieving are part of the larger process. It sucks to get hit in the gut with the feelings, but it makes sense that these months are doing that to you. I feel that way too sometimes, like I shouldn't be this sad at this point, or "I thought I was more healed than this," but it's those layers you speak of. I hope you are riding these moments out, and that less painful said lie ahead.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's those damn layers! Oof.

      I think you'll appreciate this. When I text my best friend about a bad day I'm having she writes back, "Ride the wave." Then when I text her when I'm having a good day she writes back, "Ride the wave." So that's what I'll do. I'll continue to ride this moment out. Thank you. <3

      Delete
  4. You know, this is such a wonderfully important post. The forgiveness is important. It's important to let yourself grieve, and knowing that it is okay to feel sad makes feeling that sadness a bit easier, I think. Or it does for me. The lack of self-recriminations are a huge step. Damn right it is progress! Brava.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I hadn't thought of this topic as being important. But you are so right, self-forgiveness is very important!! <3

      Delete
  5. I am SO far behind on reading & commenting, but wanted to let you know I saw this & am thinking of you. (((hugs)))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I know how that goes! :) Not a problem. I'm always happy to see you around, whenever it is. Thank you for thinking of me. <3

      Delete