Monday, September 20, 2021

"You're the expert."

Well you never know what people are going to say...

In my last post, I shared the very hurtful example of experience v. expertise that an online presenter used. She compared studying pediatrics and working with children (her experience) to being a parent (when she said she actually became an expert). Insert eye roll. I already ranted in my last post. There were hundreds of online attendees. You know that woman hurt, annoyed, and/or offended many people, not just me. She also hurt herself because she is trying to grow her online business and she just turned off approximately 1 in 8 people in her audience.

Anyway! 

That was one of the most egregious examples of pronatalism that I've heard in quite awhile.

So imagine my surprise when I was at work last Friday...

First, some background info. I have really been struggling. This pandemic is hard. I am beyond grateful for my new home, but 18 months of not going to restaurants or parties or community events is starting to get to even this homebody. 

My family lives in other states and gives me no credit or validation for what I am going through. (Typical. Standard operating procedures there.) They all go out to concerts and restaurants in their various parts of the country. They think I am overreacting. 

Also, there's a TON of stress at work at the hospital. There's regular work stress; then there's the covid stress, the anti-mask/anti-vax stress, and the stress of my pediatric patients cancelling their appointments because they tested positive.

It's really a lot. Too much stress. It all adds up.

So I woke up Friday morning and I was totally not feeling it. (Actually, I went to bed Thursday night pretty upset and slept for 12 hours. Also not normal.) But I woke up Friday and knew I needed to take a mental health day. But I also knew that there was a kid on my schedule that was coming in for his first appointment after his initial evaluation over a month ago. I really wanted to see this kid.

So I got up, got showered, got dressed, and got myself there. I kept myself busy with paperwork until it was time for his appointment. He showed up and we hung out. It was great. I liked getting to know him better and I was thankful for the opportunity to be able to work with him.

His mom was in the room so I was explaining what I was doing and why in case she was curious. But... And here's the point of this whole post... She just smiled and said, "You're the expert!" 

"You're the expert!"

Here was this woman trusting me with the most important thing in her life, her son, and she didn't question a single thing. She considered me to be knowledgeable and capable and she viewed me as an expert. She never asked me if I have kids. She doesn't know. She might think I'm 40. She might think I'm 30. Hell, with a mask covering half my face, she might think I'm 25. She might NOT think about it at all. Because it doesn't matter!!! Not my age, not my childbearing status. 

I have the education, the licensure, and, most importantly, her son's trust. He came to Friday's appointment willingly and without argument and that was good enough for his mom. She trusts me. She's counting on me to help. She sees me as an expert.

I'm not gonna lie. It felt damn good. Just one week after hearing the opposite (which was quite hurtful), I loved being told, "You're the expert." 

I'm still committed to lifelong learning. There is still SO MUCH more to know. I want to know how to help all of my patients and their families with whatever they need. It will take years to build the practice that I want to offer. 

But I'm doing all right in the meantime. This mom trusts me with her son's care. She explicitly said so. And that means more to me than she'll ever know.

12 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you struggled out of bed, and got that validation as a reward. You ARE the expert, and you know it, and your clients/patients know it. Parents are experts in being parents of their own children (and lots of time, not always in that), but this woman sensibly recognised she needed help and input from you. That makes her a much better parent in my book!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly! "Parents are experts in being parents of their own children (and lots of time, not always in that)."

      I don't feel like an expert (yet?)... But I am hopeful I can help a little bit at least!

      Delete
  2. I love this mom's kid. It was a kind thing of her to say and she is very right that she can trust her son to you, you are the expert.

    I am glad that you managed to get out of bed, it would be a pity if you missed this comment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad I got out of bed too. I didn't want to cancel on this kid. Maybe he didn't care, but I know what it can feel like to anticipate going to a new appointment. I wanted to put him at ease. I didn't want him to worry.

      Delete
  3. I can understand so well that this whole COVID stuff is getting to you. Especially when you work in a hospital, you are much closer to this disease and its consequences than many others. How wonderful that especially on this day when you needed support, this wonderful gift came. Of course you are the expert! I can imagine that the mother's recognition, that you are not only the expert, but also the best to taking care of this little boy, feels really good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's very stressful. 2020 was an interesting year for me to switch from education to healthcare, that's for sure!

      I appreciate my patients and their families. I hope I can help make a positive impact on their lives. <3

      Delete
  4. That is AWESOME. Those are the best kinds of validation. I'm sorry you've been struggling, but I'm glad you got to hear that at just the right time! You ARE the expert. 💜

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jess. I imagine we're all struggling in some way... Everything is a lot right now.

      YOU are the expert too!! I love reading stories about how you work with and build relationships with kids. <3

      Delete
  5. Music to your - and to our - ears! I hope you ended up getting the rest and self care you needed later, but what a welcome thing to get to hear.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! Music to my/our ears!! I had to share!!!

      And yes, I actually went home after that. I didn't want to cancel my afternoon appointments and it can't become a habit, but it's what I needed to do then. No regrets.

      I went home, showered, cried, and fell asleep for several hours. I spent the weekend doing self-care shit and reflecting on what I can do differently in the future.

      And my conclusion? Nothing. Ha! The pandemic is not my fault. I will just continue to do the best I can. That's what I would tell a friend and so that's what I'm telling myself. <3

      Delete
  6. What a wonderful post. I feel the same level of pandemic exhaustion...and I cheer your validation!! So deserved and so overdue

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh the exhaustion!! It's physical and cognitive and emotional and existential and every other kind of tired that exists.

      That parent made my day! Year! Career!! Haha. It really felt good hearing her say that. The timing seemed Divine.

      Delete