Monday, April 10, 2023

The Heaviness Has Lifted

I can tell it's not January, February, or March anymore. And it's not just because of the sun shining and the snow melting. I no longer feel an inexplicable heaviness. 

Life, in general, feels a little lighter.

I am interested in learning more about grief. How it feels, how we process it, how it reoccurs. I'd like to help people with it. Everyone deals with loss of some sort. After I graduate, I'll explore more therapeutic approaches to grief and loss. 

My plate is currently full. Pleasantly full. Full of things I chose.
My jobs, my studies, my sewing projects, my home.

I shared several months ago that my boyfriend and I were going through something. Honestly, I thought we were going to break up. We didn't. I'm glad. :)

We are both growing in our own ways--me as a communicator, him overcoming depression. It got me thinking so much about infertility and not having kids. I developed so much resilience and so many survival strategies after losing my children and dreams of motherhood. It makes it hard when I see others struggling and perceive that they're not doing anything about it.

Nobody can solve our problems for us. Nobody can instill us with enthusiasm or a will to live.

We have to save ourselves. No one else can.

The past year of our relationship was tough. There were plenty of fun moments. He is one of my best friends after all. But still... It was very tough. 

It got me thinking about how childlessness has a way of changing everything. I realized that what I need in a relationship has changed. Drastically. I realized I assumed things about him just because he had raised children. (Pronatalism is so insidious. It gets to all of us. And also, no, he is NOT organized or orderly lol, something I thought came automatically after raising kids.)

It's been interesting. Thinking about my choices and patterns in relationships throughout my life. Comparing different time periods and my different expectations for partners. Considering how traumatic teen parenthood can be (for him) and childlessness after infertility can be (for me). 

But even during the toughest days, my boyfriend and I always had trust and communication. And trust me, I've held NOTHING back hahaha. And neither has he. It's important that we both share our perspectives.

Anyway, just kind of a rambling post... 

I wanted to share my good news. My relationship limbo is over! I ended it this weekend. I decided to stay and we are moving forward together. None of that is directly related to infertility (except for the fact that somehow most everything relates to infertility for me AND the fact that he has witnessed a shit ton of my healing, which is priceless), but it got me thinking about all sorts of new angles on the topic. 

But after thinking and analyzing nonstop for the last several months, I am giving myself a break. You all know I am good at that. ;) Breaks are important. Breaks are essential.

So today I am working on schoolwork while snuggled under my latest quilt. I like myself, my relationship feels fun and stable, and I'm happy at home. 

I hope you are feeling some lighter moments these days too.



6 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you are feeling lighter. Spring helps, and relationship certainty probably does too. I was very pleased to read that good news, and that you are so glad about it. Yay!
    The whole thing about grief and growth is fascinating, isn't it? That going through something like infertility and childlessness actually teaches us how to cope in so many other areas. Yes, almost everything relates back to it! I love reading about your thoughts on this.
    Of course, here autumn makes everything a bit darker with the prospect of winter. Though I don't mind winter. And I must say, just getting some things organised has made me feel lighter too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Spring definitely helps! We ate lunch at the brewery yesterday and everyone seemed happier that it wasn't snowing and the sun was shining.

      And yes, one of the "gifts" of infertility is resilience. We all have a strength we didn't ask for but that will get us through anything.

      I felt so confused about my relationship for so long, but I didn't want to make any hasty decisions. So I just thought and thought and thought and communicated a lot. The pandemic was HARD and it really affected us (just like it greatly affected everyone). But we stuck together through that, we made it through, and we are moving forward together.

      I hope you are enjoying your autumn. I love fall and winter! :)

      Delete
  2. Dear Phoenix,
    I am so happy to read that the heaviness has lifted and that there seems to be more stability in your relationship now.
    Wishing you a relaxing Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Elaine. Here's to a great week for all of us! <3

      Delete
  3. Happy to hear things are looking up, both weather-wise and in matters of the heart! There is light at the end of the tunnel...! :)

    ReplyDelete