Sunday, April 2, 2023

The Importance of Rest

The last week of March always feels so hard and heavy, like there's an invisible hand pushing me down and I'm moving through molasses. I think part of it is the anniversary of my last IVF and all of the trauma that comes with that, but I think another part of it is the first three months of the new year and the ending of winter combined with the time change. 

To put it simply, (for me anyway) the last week of March feels brutal.

So.

Allow me to talk about the importance of rest.

In an overscheduled society that is always going on and on about "self-care" but doesn't actually do anything to make self-care anything other than another scheduled item on a To Do list, we have to make time to do nothing.

Absolutely nothing.

Sit there in a chair or on a couch. Sit on the floor or stand in the middle of your kitchen. Lie down in your living room or sit in the bathtub. Sit there, stand there, lie there. Whatever you choose, just make sure and do nothing while you're doing it.  

As your mind inevitably starts to think about something (your To Do list, your most recent inner conflict, your stressors of the day), redirect your thoughts to nothing. 

Tell yourself: "Yes, yes, there goes my brain, always thinking... But I don't have to follow it."

Picture your thoughts packed in a suitcase that you're carrying. Set that suitcase down for a few minutes. You can come back for it later. Or not.

Come up with a resting place for your brain. I picture a bench and rest my brain there. Maybe you're a beach person or a mountain person or a field person. Picture your brain and body doing nothing wherever feels peaceful to you.

It's not an easy practice. We are used to going, going, going. Thinking, thinking, thinking. Doing, doing, doing. It takes practice to do nothing.

But rest is different from sleep. We need both. 

Our health depends on it.



4 comments:

  1. I love this. I am extraordinarily bad at resting, at truly quieting my mind. Great strategies, thank you! And I love a good Calvin & Hobbes...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful! And the picture - a stream in the forest just makes me stop and breathe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am sorry to hear that the end of March has been so hard for you. I have felt similar to a certain degree. Heavy and exhausted.

    "In an overscheduled society that is always going on and on about 'self-care' but doesn't actually do anything to make self-care anything other than another scheduled item on a To Do list, we have to make time to do nothing." I very much agree <3!

    Oh – I absolutely love the Calvin & Hobbes and might put a version of it up in our kitchen :-)!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ahh, the wisdom of Calvin & Hobbes! -- so true! Thanks for the reminder!

    ReplyDelete