Sunday, August 13, 2023

Dr. Phoenix

Well, I did it. I graduated! 

But I didn't get here alone. I thank my parents for helping me with tuition. (Just being honest because school is expensive.) I thank my boyfriend for making me coffee, cooking delicious meals (or ordering pizza when his work schedule got too crazy to cook), and providing endless emotional support. I thank my classmates for supporting my research topic. I thank my study participants for trusting me with their data. And I thank all of you for reading and commenting on my blog throughout the years. 

I definitely did not get here alone. 

And I continue to move forward. I still envision providing therapeutic support to women involuntarily childless after infertility. I cannot believe there are no established services yet. I will continue to work on my research about involuntarily childless women after infertility. I encourage future researchers to investigate the broader population of involuntarily childless women (and men!): childless by marriage, childless by circumstance, childless and stepparenting, etc.

It's been a lot lately. A lot of big feelings. I was sitting next to my friend at graduation. At one point I was starting to tear up. I leaned over and said to her, "I can't believe I'm here. I mean, I barely left my house for years. And now I'm graduating with a doctoral degree??" Honestly, it was pretty overwhelming.

It's not often that this happens, but I am at a loss for words.

Just simply, THANK YOU. Thank you, thank you, thank you.

I did not get here alone. You are a part of this too.

Thank you.



12 comments:

  1. Dear Dr. Phoenix :-),
    Congratulations! I am so happy for you. Well done <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Elaine!!! <3

      It feels good to be graduated. Now that I am done with classes (i.e., deadlines), I can focus on my research! :)

      Delete
  2. CONGRATULATIONS, Dr Phoenix!!! I'm so happy for you. It took a lot of hard work, both academic and emotional I am sure, and you should be incredibly proud of yourself. I am beyond thrilled for you. And a wee bit proud (if that's not presumptuous) of you too. lol I so wish we could all get together for a party to celebrate you. Maybe one day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Mali!!! <3

      I am definitely down for a party!! :)

      Delete
  3. Dr. Phoenix!! HUGE congratulations!! What an accomplishment!! And thank YOU so much for making our community and our well-being part of your work & studies! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Loribeth!!! <3

      Our community WILL be recognized, and our voices WILL be heard! My presentation alone had a big impact on my colleagues, bringing several to tears because they could relate personally or because of friends or family members. We are the people that no one talks about and we are literally everywhere.

      Delete
  4. Congratulations!! So fantastic what an amazing accomplishment!! Well done you, time to seriously celebrate all you are and all you are yet to be

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Barreness!!! <3

      It feels kind of hard to celebrate because I jumped right into long work days with a long commute, but it will let up a little in September and get even better in October. I love what you said: celebrate all I am yet to be. I really love that. Thank you!

      Delete
  5. DOCTOR PHOENIX! A belated congratu-freaking-lations! Of course you teared up, that is such a powerful moment. So much went into this accomplishment. I look forward to all the amazing things you will continue to do!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jess!!! <3

      Now that my final project has been submitted, it is really starting to sink in. Working with a patient with dementia this past week showed me how much I have learned over the last year. I am so grateful.

      Delete
  6. Doctor Phoenix: I belatedly mentioned your work wonderful work in my latest blog post (the first in 7+ months!) I can't wait to hear how it will be incorporated into care going forward. You have made such a huge, positive impact xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Pamela! I can never repay you for the comfort that your book, Silent Sorority, gave me so I will keep paying it forward and doing my best to help other women. <3

      Delete