Saturday, February 10, 2024

A Valentine for You

The last time I celebrated Valentine's Day was in 2009. It was the last Valentine's Day before my then-boyfriend (now ex-husband) and I got married. He wrote a very thoughtful letter, and it is one of the most memorable gifts I've ever received from a partner. A handwritten letter doesn't cost anything to write and it came from a man of few words, so it was priceless to me.

After we got married, I figured we had our anniversary, Xmas, and our birthdays. I didn't need Valentine's Day too. It was easy not to celebrate a holiday that was never very important to me. After we divorced, even when I had a boyfriend, I never picked the holiday back up. Valentine's Day isn't on my radar screen much. 

But don't get me wrong, I LOVE chocolate and stuffed animals. 

Now that I think about it... Maybe I *should* be celebrating this holiday every year. Maybe I'll start next year. Maybe I'll host a drop-by snacks party for friends to remind everyone I love them.

Ooh, I actually like this idea. Maybe I'll start a tradition for Valentine's. Decorate my house, fill the table with food, and maybe even give away stuffed animals as party favors, haha. I have a lot of love to give. and I might as well share it with my friends. Make some food and invite them over. Valentine's 2025.

Until then, we will celebrate right now. Ourselves and each other.

A Valentine for You. You are loved by me. Be where you are and enjoy the little things.




4 comments:

  1. Dear Phoenix,
    We don't celebrate Valentine's day around here the way I assume you do it in the U.S. In Switzerland it seems mostly a day used for commercial purposes (by flower shops or restaurants) so I usually ignore it.
    But when it comes to showing love and appreciation to the people we care about, it is never wrong. So I want to say Thank you, and I am grateful to have "met" you. Thank you for being you, for sharing your experience, for writing <3. You are a wonderful PHOENIX!
    "Be where you are and enjoy the little things" – I really like that, too.
    Much love,
    Elaine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your comment is so kind and very much appreciated while I navigate this time period of my life. <3

      I think Valentine's Day is mostly a commercial holiday here too. That's probably why I never got too into it. But I do really like chocolate and stuffed animals, haha. I almost bought myself some flowers at the store today, but I'm scheduled to work a lot this week so I think I'll wait for a week where I can fully enjoy some beautiful flowers at my house.

      I'm so grateful for you, Elaine!

      Delete
  2. I love this! Just celebrate love and care, not so much the commercial frappe that is Valentine's Day in the US. We don't really celebrate either, other than to make cards (and we don't even do that consistently). It seems silly to buy overpriced flowers or overpriced dinners because a saint got beheaded once upon a time. :P It is awful to go to the grocery store where Cupid has vomited all over the place and think about what salt in the wound that is for those who would like to celebrate romantically but aren't. Same place vomits MOM everywhere around Mother's Day. LOVE! I love that your answer is LOVE and more LOVE, spread all around. I wish we lived closer and I could come to your party!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Like Elaine, it's not such a big thing in NZ, or certainly wasn't when I was younger. Our anniversary is only ten days earlier, so we never/rarely do anything to mark it. I'd been thinking of going out to dinner tomorrow night, but had been completely oblivious to the fact that it is Valentine's day!
    Elaine said it all when she expressed gratitude for you. I am also glad you are here with us, part of our community. You are loved around the world! Enjoy your chocolate and stuffed animals!

    ReplyDelete