Monday, April 22, 2024

Well Received

I am happy to share that the research I presented last month was well received. It was a great opportunity to conduct the research in the first place, and it is just as important to disseminate the information. I plan to share the information at future conferences. I will also write an article about the study and submit it for publication to an academic journal. I want to get the information in the hands of people who will use it.

Which is everyone. Nobody is untouched by infertility and living childless not-by-choice. Everyone has a family member dealing with it. Or a co-worker that you don't know about. Or a client. Or an acquaintance. Or a friend. Whether we know they're going through it or not, odds are we all know someone, at least peripherally.

In order to develop effective support programs to help people transitioning to involuntary childlessness, we need to understand the lived experience. We need to know: what are the common experiences, factors, and needs among this growing population? Research exploring this phenomenon can help get the ball rolling for future program development.

So, back to it being well received... It was! I wish you could have been there. It's not like a ton of people stopped by my little spot, but if just one person stopped by and asked me a question, the trip would be worth it. And it was worth it. Everyone was interested in the research results for different reasons. People were interested in everything from the methodology to sharing they were going (or went through) the experience to asking how to support loved ones who are going through it. Connections were made and many meaningful conversations were had. 

And then I crashed. I slept so hard that night. I don't know why I didn't think to anticipate it, but talking about infertility and involuntary childlessness was exhausting. 

It was also awesome. I'm so grateful for the opportunity. It's priceless to feel so well received.

On the opposite of that, I have received some unsupportive comments on this blog in the last several months. I don't know why someone would want to read what I write unless they're trying to cope with their worst nightmare. I definitely don't mean to sound like I'm judging fertile people. I'm just working through my own anguish. But, I also have learned I don't need to explain myself.

So I'll be stepping away from this space for a while. I've made some really good friends here, and I encourage anyone reading to reach out and build a community for yourself. There are other people out there who will understand. 

You are allowed to grieve. You can heal. You deserve to enjoy your life.

I will leave my posts up for now. Maybe I'll take them down eventually or maybe they can hang out in the ether forever. I don't know yet.

Thank you all. Thank you for saving my will to live. I love my life, and I don't take that for granted.


Above is the March Hare with his spilled tea for The Mad Quilt Party at Art East Quilting Co.
I've had a lot of fun doing this sew along with the monthly mystery block since September.
It ends next month and I'm looking forward to learning what the next sew along will be.



9 comments:

  1. Oh Phoenix, I'm so glad (although not surprised!) that your research was well received! But I'm so very sorry you've received some unsupportive comments here lately, and even more sorry to hear that you're stepping away from this space because of that. I hope it's not forever, because yours is a very articulate and valued voice in this space. Whatever you do, please stay in touch! -- you know where/how to find me! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish I had been there too! I'm sooooo pleased that you had such good and interesting responses to your research.

    And yes, I'm so sorry you have felt the need to step away from here because some people can't understand that there are people in this world who are not the same as them! That makes me furious. But also, very proud of who you are, and the work you are doing.
    As Loribeth says, you know where to find me. I think my contact details for you were the university, so I don't have anything updated. I'd love to keep in touch. Not least because one day I plan on getting to your state, and would love to meet up!

    Sending much love!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you very much for your blog Phoenix. I found you a few months ago. I was feeling very bad at that time. I knew I would lose my uterus and remain childless forever. Your blog helped me to understand that what I feel is normal and that I am not alone. Hope one day to read again from you. All the best, Mariana

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have children and I've never seen anything in your blog that struck me as even remotely judgmental of parents.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Phoenix, I am following your blog for two years now, since I have known I would remain childless forever. Your blog helped me through my darkest times and I am still looking forward to any new post from you. It is so helpful to get to know other people's experiences and it is awesome how you cope with your life. So I really hope to read from you some time in the future again. And in the meantime I wish you all the best!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree: Nobody is untouched by infertility and living childless not-by-choice! Thank you for your research work. Thank you for raising awareness. Your work is so very valuable <3. I am happy it was well received at the conference. Congratulations!

    Oh my. I am so sorry you received unsupportive comments. Your blog has been a valuable resource to me and I am sure for many others, too. I appreciate having "met" you here <3.

    Much love!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Phoenix. I've read along for years but have never commented. I have two children, and both before having them as well as in the early years, blogged about loss and difficulty conceiving (so in fact we have mutual blog friends/ acquaintances).

    Since I didn't remain childless, I cannot relate exactly to your situation other than imagining it through your depictions and appreciating how you do that with your words. Also, I have been silently supporting you as you have been moving through the acute pain to a different stage in your life and a different perception of it.

    Although our experiences are different, I too have had to face the profound loss of what I thought my life might be and what I thought it may include. Your recounting of your own experience encouraged, and would continue to enough, me in dealing with this. Life is not always what we want, obviously, and this can be the case for many reasons. I think you have a voice that can speak specifically as to your own situation but whose overall message can also apply more broadly.

    All this to say is that I'd miss you if you left. I am very sensitive to criticism from others so would understand your hesitation about continuing, but I'd also urge you to hold your ground against it and carry on as YOU see fit. Because there are many of us here in solidarity with you, for one reason or another, and many of us who'd feel the pain of your departure.

    I'm happy to "know" you, even if it's one-way. All the best to you, whatever you decide here.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Huzzah to your research being well received! And a hearty FU to the people who find it necessary to troll you. I do not understand that. I hope you see the posts of people supporting you, I'm sure we outnumber the dinguses. I'm all for the right to disagree, but those must have been doozies to make you feel that you need to step away. I love you, I love your posts, and I hope you come back after your needed rest. 💜

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am sad to hear that there have been unsupportive comments and that you're stepping back. Take the space you need, but we're all here if you're ever ready to step forward again. You have an important voice. I'm glad it's out there.

    ReplyDelete