Sunday, January 5, 2020

5 Years Ago & Now


January 1, 2015       I went to the hospital for my first embryo transfer after my first IVF cycle.
January 1, 2020       I went to the hospital for my scheduled shift for my new job/career.

I would have never considered a career in healthcare had I not been through the most invasive of procedures with some of the most devastating results. I hate hospitals. I can be squeamish and anxious in medical settings. While in school, I was nervous about the clinical rotations because I didn't know if I'd be able to handle all of the medical stuff.

But I was fine. Because it's my patients' pain and anxiety that call to me. I tell them it's fine to cry or complain and that I'm sorry for the interruption this injury or illness has caused in their life.

*****

Five years ago I hadn't even considered a second career. I was going to be a stay at home mom.
Now I'm working two careers. Obviously, I'm not a stay at home mom. Also, I'm no longer married.

*****

On Friday I left the hospital after another shift. I had a good day. I still have a lot to learn, but I know I am helping my patients. I walked to my car. I stopped, took a deep breath, and looked around. It was so beautiful where I was. In all of my loss and devastation, I am still determined and grateful.

7 comments:

  1. May your next five years be full of growth, and happiness. You've been through a lot. You deserve to have a time without loss and trauma.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Mali. <3 Thank you very much. I appreciate that.

      Delete
  2. This is so wonderful. Where you've been, and where you are now...and where you have yet to go. I'm so glad that you are now providing comfort to those who are suffering, and while you have gone through so much to get to where you are, it seems like it is a really good (and really busy) place. I'm hoping 2020 is kind to you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The healthcare profession can always do with more caring people like you! I'm sure your patients appreciate it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think you can be very proud of yourself! At least I am proud of you :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so happy for you!
    Wishing you all the best for 2020!
    love,
    Klara

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the hopefulness in your post! Wishing you a great 2020!

    ReplyDelete