Saturday, March 12, 2022

Marching On

I didn't cry today, but I cried hard yesterday. Twice. It's not just my upcoming infertility survivor anniversary. It's also the pandemic. It's two years of the pandemic. It's the fact that tomorrow will mark exactly two years since my boyfriend and I last ate in a restaurant. That can easily sound superficial when so many people are suffering worldwide, but it represents that every routine and element of structure in my life changed entirely. Over a weekend.

It's a lot for all of us to absorb, process, and endure.

I think that's why I'm moving even slower this March.

Last night I read my journal entries from this month last year. Thankfully, I'm definitely feeling better than I was then. For one, I'm vaccinated. That offers some relief. Also, I have my new (old) house. Buying a home wasn't even on my radar screen this time last year.

This time last year I was still in disbelief about quitting my previous job (due to lack of covid precautions) and was worried about finding a new job. I actually wrote that I wanted to avoid getting into another negative work situation.

Oops.

I quit a hazardous job just to get a new job that was hostile. Once I realized, I tried what I could. And then when there was nothing I could do to change my situation at work, I quit.

And here I am again, processing my latest job and worried about finding a new one. And just like last year, as time passes, memories of random experiences from that last job fly up into my consciousness and I feel things all over again.

It was a really bad experience.

It was bad for many reasons. I won't bore you with the details or the insults. However, for this blog, there is one detail worth noting: I felt like my co-worker judged me for not having children. 

Here are just some of the comments she made to me:

  • "I have to check my phone. I have kids." (Implying that I don't have to check my phone? That I don't have important people in my life? Just thoughtless, really...)

  • "I don't have time to read articles at home like you. I have to do everything late at night after my kids go to bed." (Okay... I was only asking when she found the time at work to read recent research.)

  • "I can't afford to buy things for work. I have my own children to buy for." (Ouch. I didn't even say anything to her. That comment was completely voluntary after I brought in a couple of things.)

Maybe those comments aren't that big of a deal. Maybe in isolation they're pretty harmless. Maybe I'm reading into things. Here's what I do know. I was on a two-person team and the other person was lying to me and lying about me to our manager, so it wasn't very hard for me to be "overly sensitive" and take her comments personally.

She just wasn't nice to me.

I got the feeling she didn't view me as being on the same level as the other adults in the office. She didn't talk to me conversationally, only the other parents in the office. She associated me with the single co-workers in their 20s. And it seemed to be very important to her to periodically tell me that I was a new grad. Then I would remind her that, yes, I was new to our particular field, but I was coming with 25 years of experience working with kids. One time I also reminded her that she and I were only 4 years apart.

But what's that lesson I've learned since quitting that job and reading that book?

Oh yeah. I don't have to explain myself. ;)

Marching on... We're almost halfway through!

💚🍀💚


5 comments:

  1. Nope, you don't have to explain yourself. It sounds as if your co-worker needed to explain her petty reactions to you. Deep-seated jealousy, insecurity, etc. After all, the most insecure people are often the ones who need to put us down! I'm not surprised you find March hard, after an unbelievably tough two years. But remember, you've also set boundaries, you've left two difficult work situations which were difficult through no fault of your own, and you're still standing. You deserve a pat or two on the back. And a resounding brava too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Mali. Thank you so much! I appreciate your validation. Those last two jobs sucked my energy. I'm glad I didn't stay! Thank you for the pats on the back. I *am* still standing, aren't I? :)

      Delete
  2. Ugh, that sounds so awful. So much "other" ing. I wonder why she needed to make you feel so other? I'm glad you're out of that toxic situation. And yay for that book! I just put it on my kindle... Thanks for reminding me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That job just didn't feel right and it never did, beginning with the weird orientation. I'm so glad it's done and that the bulk of my processing is over. Blahhh.

      Boundaries are good. Boundaries keep us safe, sane, and able to enjoy our freaking lives because we're not here to bother anyone. Gahhh! :)

      I'm glad you're gonna check out that book. I started reading that other one, First We Make The Beast Beautiful. Thanks for the heads up on the sugar stuff. I'm literally skipping over those sections but still making my way through the book.

      Delete
  3. Ugh, I don't blame you for quitting! And while it's not as bad in my books as November & February, March isn't my favourite month either. The weather still sucks, we have the covid-aversary now to consider, it's spring break hereabouts -- which not only reminds me that I'm not a parent, it means it's difficult to go anywhere, even when there's not covid to worry about, because there are mobs of parents & kids running amok everywhere...! And it's the month when I found out I was pregnant, 24 years ago. Oh well, it's almost over...!

    ReplyDelete