Saturday, October 28, 2023

IVF Failure Mentioned in a News Story

This news story isn't about IVF failure, but failed treatments are mentioned in the first sentence.

This CNN article is about a couple that moves from the United States to Spain. Yes, their move happened after IVF failed and they reevaluated their lives. But really, the article is about the couple's cost of living being more affordable and their work-life balance being easier to maintain. 

It's another example of how moving can change the quality of one's life. 

But then the end of the article touches on involuntary childlessness:

"While the couple still sometimes struggle with the prospect of not having children, Luban, now 53, says they feel 'too old now,' adding that while they previously looked into adoption, 'the process seemed to be a nightmare, financially and otherwise.' 

'And it was such an emotionally (and financially) painful experience to try and fail, we couldn't go through it again,' he adds, stressing that they have 'no regrets.'"

*****

And now I want to take a trip to Spain...


(Picture from a hotel's blog post about the best tapas bars and restaurants in Ronda)




2 comments:

  1. During infertility, I knew a number of women from the UK who went to Spain to use donor eggs, which were more freely available there. It was never an option for me, and one I wouldn't have taken up anyway. Also, interestingly, at one stage I really wanted to go to Spain, study Spanish (which I had never done before) and live in an immersion environment. But I realised that I'd still have my same problems if I went and did that - because I was looking for an escape, not a solution.

    A few years later, I taught myself some Spanish and my husband and I took a seven week trip there. It was fabulous. And we loved Ronda. (Mentioned in your photo.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I got to go to Spain once. It was incredible, an opportunity of a lifetime. The food, the art, the people, the architecture... I loved everything about it.

      To live there would be a dream! The affordability described in the article is enticing. My cost of living is nearing a tipping point...

      Delete