Wednesday, October 11, 2023

Your Friendly Reminder To Do What You Want

I finally had some days off last week. I spent them running errands and going to medical appointments. I have some days off this week too. I am spending them doing what I feel like. Sewing, sleeping, watching tv. My house needs cleaning and decluttering, but I am very tired.

I will admit that I rented a storage unit. I accept that I'm keeping too many keepsakes, tea cups, and framed things, but I'm not ready to purge any of them yet. So yesterday I got a small storage closet to get them out of my house. But today it's raining so I'm not going to move anything.

I am resting instead.

We have all been through so much in the last couple of years, and that was on top of what we'd already been through before that. It's a hell of a lot. It's demanding. It's exhausting. It's hard on our bodies, our minds, our hearts, and our souls.  

How can you give yourself a break? What demands can you decrease or set down altogether? Where in your day or week can you give yourself some time to do nothing? 

The bills don't stop coming and neither does the bad news.
How can we shift our thinking so that we see and recognize the good stuff too? 

Like, I get aggravated with how much utilities cost, but I also love having indoor plumbing in my home. Going to the grocery store stresses me out, but I'm glad I have access to food. I don't say these things in a flippant way, and cultivating gratitude for all of the little/big things in life doesn't solely sustain me. But it does help me. So I'm sharing in case it helps you. 

Our brains are hardwired to hold on to the bad information. It's a protective action. I've had to put in a lot of work over the decades to learn how to see and recognize the good. It doesn't dismiss or absolve the bad, but it does help balance it out.

The loss of motherhood was more than the loss of my lifelong dream and my primal yearning to raise and nurture little humans in my home as they grew to be adults. It was also the loss of societal roles, normative routines, and expected milestones. It was the loss of a life that was completed structured around having children. It was the loss of relationships with family and friends as every single one of them changed. It was the loss of connection with others. It was the loss of connection with myself. It was the loss of who I was and who I thought I'd be. 

And then we all endure a pandemic? One that never really ended, it just wore us down as we adapted to this neurological virus becoming endemic.

Moving sucks. Finding a job and place to live. Packing, moving, closing down accounts, opening new accounts, changing your address on everything, learning your new town and neighborhood, meeting people, finding a place for yourself... It all takes years. And so many of us move so often. It sucks. It really sucks.

Divorce sucks. Changing your name back sucks. Even when it's "easy," it still completely sucks. It's the end of a relationship that you thought would be there forever. It shook my foundation, my sense of security. It was also freeing because I was so painfully lonely. But it still sucked. I don't ever, ever want to get divorced again.

Working a job you hate sucks. But how else are we going to buy our milk, coffee, fabric, car insurance, and rent/mortgage? I'm extremely thankful that I like what I do at my job. I worked hard to find something I liked and was good at. But not everyone gets that chance. 

It's a lot. It's a lot of stress. For anyone. And for so many of us, we are navigating it all under a thick blanket of disenfranchised grief. It can make everything heavier and harder. 

What can you quit? 

I'm a big fan of quitting. I'm countercultural like that. If it sucks, I quit. My parents used to worry that I'd had so many jobs, but now all of my experiences are such a benefit to my career. I've worked in multiple industries with all ages in all settings, and the skills are transferrable. I quit law school. I quit my marriage. I quit infertility treatments. If it's not good for us, we should quit. 


Life is too short.



Can you do less? Can you rest? Can you go to bed earlier and/or get up later?




What do you do to get in the flow? 




You deserve to enjoy your life.




(Artwork above found here for sale.)



(And listen to the song Enjoy Yourself, It's Later Than You Think here.)



6 comments:

  1. Thanks for the reminder, Phoenix :-). I guess we can all use it from time to time.
    I really love picture number 3 – did you make that?
    Wishing you a wonderful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! It's my Alice block for my Alice in Wonderland quilt. I'm obsessed hahaha, just finished the White Rabbit block last night!

      Thank you! Enjoy your weekend as well!!

      Delete
  2. I'm also a big fan of quitting. Or rather, on focusing on what we can achieve, rather than what we cannot. I love the "Enjoy yourself, it's later than you think" meme. Though now I'm going to have that earworm in my head for the rest of the day!
    I hope you have a relaxing and enjoyable weekend, and don't have to do anything you don't want to do!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I will be traveling, which is definitely not my favorite. But it will be good to see family! And then come back home. :) Haha.

      Delete
  3. This is a fantastic reminder to put things down. To let go of what doesn't serve. To quit things that don't work. I think all of our experiences make us who we are, and having a varied background can only make a body a) more interesting and b) more adaptable. I love this! I spent all day yesterday in pajamas, and I refused to feel guilty. I needed it. :)
    PS your Alice quilt looks so beautiful! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jess, it makes me so happy to read that you did not feel guilty for spending all day in your PJs!! :) :) :)

      Delete