Sunday, November 12, 2023

Not Building, Just Living

I can rest now. I'm not trying to get anywhere or become anything. 

I am no longer building, no longer creating a life I want to live.

I'm just living it.

I've said it a million times, but it's still true. I am very, very tired. And very, very thankful. I am grateful I got out of where I was and got to where I am (both geographically and emotionally).

I just felt such a sense of urgency many years ago. I knew I had to grieve, but I also knew I had to start working on changing my life. I knew I couldn't go on "living" the way I was.

And that brings us to today.

I don't have kids, and now I don't want kids. I wanted kids. Very badly. But that didn't happen for me. I gave my all to trying to conceive. I didn't know it would leave me with nothing, preventing me from pursuing adoption at the time. I was always completely open to the idea of open adoption. I worked for an adoption and foster care agency for several years. I got great training and felt like I knew what was up. 

But I didn't know the debilitating pain of infertility.

It paralyzes you and destroys you but leaves you alive.

So, yeah...

It was quite the devastation to my life. And I couldn't do anything about it.

But I couldn't do nothing either.

Which brings us back to today again.

So much is over. The last month, the last ten years. So much is done. You'd think I would've rested today. But instead I moved some storage tubs into my storage closet. It's a part of my healing. The decluttering of my home.

But overall, I'm gonna rest by doing less. I'll still go to work. And I'm getting back into my research. Plus, I've got several quilts in progress. But those are all things I chose to do. In this life I created.


Image (pennant banner for sale) found here. 

4 comments:

  1. This is beautiful. What we once wanted and the new life we lead don't have to negate each other. I love the idea of doing less, of CHOOSING what to fill your time with. So much time of having choices taken away, or making hard choices that didn't lead where they promised. I'm glad you can live this lovely life for yourself, and see the joy in decluttering and tubbing things away! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're so right! "What we once wanted and the new life we lead don't have to negate each other." Thank you for that!!

      And, yes. The power of choice. In addition to decluttering, unbusy-ing, and living a simple, happy life. <3

      Delete