Tuesday, March 5, 2024

It Doesn't Always Hurt

There's a lot going on in the world right now. A lot of it is really bad. I've started to just be completely honest in my conversations with my friends. This time period of my life is a bit of a struggle. Life is hard, and I need more good news in general. And when I share how I'm feeling with my friends, they share with me. They are feeling the same way too. Tired and overwhelmed. 

We are not alone. Keep reaching out.

So amidst lots of terrible things, I have a tiny piece of good news from my life that I'd like to share.

I got caught off guard with another baby picture this week. This one was over text from a new co-worker who knows nothing about me personally. (Yet! Haha. She'll probably learn in time. These days I'm pretty open about being childless not-by-choice. I figure if I've reached a place where I can talk about it, then my talking about it will help raise awareness and reduce stigma and assumptions.) Anyway, I was texting about work with a co-worker when she sent me a picture of what she was doing at the moment--feeding her baby at home in her living room.

And... It didn't hurt.

I can't really tell you why sometimes these unsolicited baby pictures hurt and why sometimes they don't. I think, like most things, it's a combination of factors. Who the parent is, who the baby is, how I'm feeling that day...

This co-worker is new, and I am very grateful she joined our team. I will learn a lot from her. I think she is only a couple of years younger than me, based off of the year she graduated. 

And... Well... Quite honestly, I don't want a baby anymore. 

My kids would be anywhere between 8 and 12 by now. Way past the baby stage. No longer a toddler. Not even a little kid anymore. Those warm baby snuggles would be long gone, and my new way of demonstrating love for my kids would be driving them all over town to school, appointments, and activities. 

So yeah... 

It doesn't always hurt. 

I just wanted to share that. 💜

5 comments:

  1. Lovely. I am so glad it didn't hurt. Knowing what stage we would be at really makes a difference - at least it did to me too.

    Mind you, I am still bamboozled as to why anyone would send a colleague/coworker (to translate into US speak) a picture of feeding their baby. Especially if they know nothing about why the recipient has or does not have children. Argh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha, actually those are my *least* favorite baby pictures--when they're being fed. I don't like the food smeared all over their face. There are way cuter pictures.

      I think it's pronatalism at work. Everyone assumes that everyone wants to see their baby.

      Can you believe that it happened a second time this week? I got another unexpected baby picture from a different colleague yesterday. And it didn't hurt at all. All I could think was wow, that baby has sass! Lol, she had such a pointed expression on her face for a newborn.

      Delete
  2. Dear Phoenix,
    Thank you for sharing! I am glad it didn't hurt. Reading this might help those who are still in the more vulnerable stage, too.
    Pronatalism at work... that could be an answer to many questions ;-).
    Much love from Switzerland!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this -- both that it doesn't always hurt but also the honesty that you just don't know when things are going to hit differently. I relate to that, a lot. And also the realization that babies aren't where I would be now... That is a freeing realization. 💜

    ReplyDelete