Sunday, October 20, 2019

Haven't Been Asked In A While

Okay, so I'm probably tempting fate with this post, but...

I haven't been asked anything kid-related in a while. I haven't heard "Do you have kids?" in... I don't remember how long. Even with going back to teaching, I haven't had any co-workers or even a single student ask, "Why don't you have any kids?" I was mentally prepared for it because kids will say anything. But it hasn't happened yet.

I remember going on vacation in Las Vegas many years ago and being asked multiple times a day by store employees, waitresses, and bartenders: "Do you have kids?" It was weird. And it bothered me. A lot. I mean, I was in Vegas of all places. Why was I receiving so many questions about whether or not I had children??

And now I live in a new place, a small town at that, and I have a new job and... crickets...
No one has asked anything.

Not that I'm complaining.

It just makes me think. Do I give off a different vibe now? Do I seem more comfortable in my own skin? Do I no longer project that something major is missing in my life?

I don't know the answer; I just think it's weird that when I finally reach the point where I can handle those types of questions I simply don't get them anymore. Has this happened to anyone else?

Of course, now that I'm posting this, I'm sure I'll get a question this week haha. If so, I'll report it in the comments. ;)

2 comments:

  1. I hope you're not tempting fate! But maybe your confidence does make people think about other things, about better questions to ask you, about different topics of conversation. I really like that idea.

    I think too that when we're in smaller places, maybe more people know our circumstances than we think? Or maybe smaller places don't just lump everyone together in a stereotype? (Which of course goes against the stereotype of narrow-minded small towns.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What Mali said above. Also, I hate to bring up the "a" word ;) but I find the older I get, the fewer questions I get about kids. It's a relief, & one of the perqs of aging, lol. Hope the silence on this front continues for you!

    ReplyDelete