Sunday, May 23, 2021

Back in the (Fertile) Workforce

I started my new job this past week and I am so thankful. One, it's a job so that's good. Two, it's a position that's in my new profession that I went to grad school for so that's awesome. Three, it is going really well so far! I like my boss, my co-workers, the facilities, and the professional and autonomous nature of the job. Yay!!!

I share an office with a team of approximately ten people. And boy are they fertile, hahaha. Talking about their kids is a popular topic of conversation. But you know what? It hasn't bothered me. I mean, that's their life. That's what they do. They come to work and they go home to their children. What else are they going to talk about? My understanding of their reality and the fact that it doesn't hurt me shows me how far I've come in my healing process. Yay again!!!

At first, I was concerned I was going to be the ONLY one without kids. I would have dealt with that just fine, but I am honestly relieved that that is not the case. The young guy that sits next to me doesn't have kids. Then I learned that another co-worker, who I'm guessing is around my age, also doesn't have kids. When I told her that I didn't have kids either, she quickly said, "Oh there's several of us that don't have kids," and she named three more co-workers. 

I shared with her, "It might sound weird, but I'm glad I'm not the only one without kids." She got it. She immediately said, "Oh yeah, it's definitely something that they talk about all of the time." 

My boss and co-workers that are parents aren't annoying though. It's only been a week, but I haven't heard any of the pro-natalist themes of "if you don't have kids, you don't know real love" or "only people with kids are busy" or any of that crap. So far, they've just talked about their kids' schooling, illnesses, and activities. Pretty normal stuff.

Years ago I worried about rejoining the fertile workforce. Then last year I worked with a bunch of young teachers that didn't have any kids yet, so I wasn't exposed to constant children-related chatter. But I knew that was a unique scenario. I mean, I work with kids. And most adults have kids. I communicate with parents, whether they are clients or co-workers, all of the time.

It doesn't hurt me. It doesn't sting. It doesn't make me wistful. I don't go home feeling like my life is empty and meaningless. Holy crap, I thought this day would never come!

I don't think I'd be this recovered if I was still living in the house I bought for my children. I don't think I would have made this much progress in my healing if I hadn't really evaluated what I wanted out of my involuntarily childfree life. I wouldn't be this whole and healthy if I hadn't grieved long and hard and then changed practically everything in order to create a life I wanted to live.

But I did sell my children's house. I did do all of the work to apply, return to school, and graduate so I could enter a new profession (one that gives me great joy and meaning!). I did move out of the city (and state!) where I had planned on raising my children. I did it all.

And now I am able to work with and around parents without pain. 

At the end of the day, I can go home to my happy life that I've created for myself.





My latest sewing project.
Last weekend I learned how to make quilted zipper pouches
with chip and candy bags using iron-on vinyl.
So easy and so fun!


6 comments:

  1. Dear Phoenix, I am so happy for you. Congratulations on the new job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those pouches are AWESOME! At first I thought you were like, "started my new job and came home to a junk food extravaganza!"
    I'm glad there's other people without kids. I'm glad the kids talk is not the awful kind. And I'm so glad you are in a job you're excited about!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These zipper pouches are really cool! I am so glad that you seem to like your new job :-)! And also that you are able to work with and around parents without pain ♡.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I also thought you were bingeing on sweet stuff after work! Those bags look great.

    I too am glad for all the reasons Jess mentioned.

    But I'm sad that your co-worker said that "it's definitely something they talk about all of the time." Sigh.

    Meanwhile, congratulations on the job! It sounds so much healthier (physically AND mentally) than your previous role.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Haha, I too thought you had just been to the candy store! lol That's really cool!

    Glad you have finally found a workplace where the conversation is not dominated by kids! (other than the ones you're working with).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well... Someone had to eat all the candy so I could have the bags! :) I ate the Sour Patch Kids, my boyfriend ate the Swedish Fish, and we shared the M & Ms...

      I tried the Takis but they were too spicy so I threw them away. But I made that bag for a friend who loves those chips.

      It's changed how I look at things. Now when I'm getting groceries I'm thinking, would that make a cool bag? Hahaha.

      Delete