Thursday, September 22, 2022

It's Okay to Quit

Well, here's a shocker: "quitting" being promoted in the news. 

news article published yesterday starts out describing a guy training for a marathon. He feels a pain in his foot but keeps training. Ultimately, he has to give up training due to a fracture in his foot. He does not run the marathon. He had to "quit." 

The article states, "From the moment most of us are born, we're told to never give up--and to try again (and again) if we fail."

Sound familiar?
We've all heard that before...

But wait, there's more!

The article actually uses infertility as an example. As the article goes into more detail about potential consequences of not quitting, it describes a couple enduring infertility and going through treatments. The article describes the couple's mental health as suffering and their life savings as affected. The article actually PROMOTES QUITTING and says, "It's brave to say, 'I am willing to abandon my goal to create space in my heart and mind for something else meaningful.'"

Wow.
I am shocked. 

Three cheers for mainstream news telling us it's okay to quit!


This image is from one of my favorite websites.
Although not as serious as quitting fertility treatments or a job,
here is another article telling you it's okay to quit. 

5 comments:

  1. *clunk!!* -- That's me, keeling over in shock, lol. Thanks for sharing this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is amazing! I was all nail-biting thinking that the article was going to be like "and they didn't quit and look there is a miracle baby!" but WOW, how lovely to have representation in the news! Love it. And the happy sea otter that's like LET IT GO! :)

    My favorite article about stepping away, "quitting," is this one:

    https://www.npr.org/2017/06/07/531582988/total-failure-the-mountain-that-got-away

    I wrote about it here, a long long time ago in a galaxy far away: https://mypathtomommyhood.blogspot.com/2017/06/the-gift-of-failure.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow. I can't believe this was in the mainstream media! Yay :-D
    Wishing you a lovely weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Finally!!!! I have always been annoyed at the anti-quitting mindset, even though I think perseverance is also valuable - but to a point, not forever! I had a job where I fought people to accept that a feasibility study that came up with a result of "no, that's not feasible or advisable" is a success, because it saves everyone involved time, effort, and money. It always surprised me that people saw it as a failure, when I saw it as the opposite. And this was pre-infertility! lol

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great that the article acknowledged that sometimes it is absolutely for the best to stop pursing something and focus your energies elsewhere. I hated the "never give up" mentality being pushed at couples going through infertility.

    ReplyDelete