Monday, November 7, 2022

When People Are Noise

Some people will never change. Some people will never get it.

Thankfully, I have changed. What used to make me angry now makes me annoyed. What used to hurt me now shows me what's in other people's hearts and minds. Others' rudeness, meanness, and inconsideration have nothing to do with me. It's not my fault, and it's not my problem.

What prompted this latest round of thoughts? 

I talked to my sister yesterday. The insensitive one. Although nobody in my family has shown me they're willing to go the extra mile to even consider what living childless not by choice is like, this sister takes it to another level. Quite honestly, calling her insensitive is euphemistic for cruel.

So yesterday... My sister doesn't return most of my texts so when she called yesterday, even though I was just sitting down for a big work session for school assignments, I answered the phone. What resulted was a 45-minute conversation where she did not ask me a single question. She did, however, go on about cleaning out her closets for the past three weekends. She told me, "You have no idea how much stuff you can gather. It takes so long to go through everything." Of course, I just moved my stuff out of storage after seven years and spent two weeks unpacking and sorting (keep, donate, throw away), but she doesn't know any of that. I just agreed and let her prattle on. There's no getting in a single word with her and her one-sided "conversations."

But guess what her good news was. 

Her daughter's boyfriend has started calling her "Mamma Smith." Isn't that the greatest?? Isn't that just so cute?? Like she told me, "He calls me Mom! That feels so good!"

Um... 😑

"I can only imagine," is what I think I mustered to say.

She went on for a bit while I sat there with my mouth hanging open listening to her talk about how great it is to be called Mom. How thoughtless. How totally and completely thoughtless of her. 

I was mad. I was sad. But mostly... I was over it.

*****

I am reaching a new point of acceptance. I accept that my family, especially this sister, will never get it. I am learning to accept that they'll never provide the understanding or comfort that I seek. 

2022 has been quite the year of rest and growth for me. And it's not over yet!

My conversation with my sister may have sucked, but I am thankful for my sense of self and everything else I've worked so hard to cultivate in my life.

*****

Ignore the haters, my friends!


(Image found at https://www.myasbn.com/small-business/entrepreneurship/how-to-ignore-the-haters-and-the-naysayers/)



8 comments:

  1. Ugh. I'm sorry that you had to deal with the noise. Your sister sounds very self-involved and unable to see outside her own experiences. I hope you could get off that phone call and go do something utterly nourishing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I felt a little gross when I got off the phone. I continued with my day but woke up the next morning and knew I had to blog about it. It's just ridiculous.

      At this point, I'm finally realizing that it may all be intentional. I think this sister is trying to push me away, and I am going to let her.

      Delete
  2. Oh, good grief. What a self-centred, thoughtless person your sister seems to be. And she shows you this again and again. However, I love love LOVE your second paragraph. Yes! ...

    "Thankfully, I have changed. What used to make me angry now makes me annoyed. What used to hurt me now shows me what's in other people's hearts and minds. Others' rudeness, meanness, and inconsideration have nothing to do with me. It's not my fault, and it's not my problem."

    And I know this sounds weird, but reading this helped me feel less alone after different incidents with each of my sisters.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And that's exactly why I wrote this post. I know I can't be the only person in this world with a hurtful sister. I used to feel so, so alone in this world. I'm doing what I can to prevent others from feeling that way. <3

      Delete
  3. Jess and Mali have already expressed my thoughts on this very well. Oh. my. goodness! I can only say how sorry I am.

    But: You can be so proud of yourself! I just loved this: "Others' rudeness, meanness, and inconsideration have nothing to do with me. It's not my fault, and it's not my problem." I know it took a lot of work – grieving, feeling your feelings, self-care and healing to get there. I can totally relate.

    Much love!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Elaine. I appreciate the community here so, so much.

      Delete
  4. Ugh!! How can people be so self-involved?? We have lives too (and they're actually pretty interesting, if you'd care to stop talking about yourself and your kids for a few minutes and ask us a few questions for a change...!). I'm sorry, Phoenix!

    ReplyDelete