Sunday, January 15, 2023

Breath of Fresh Air

Well, this semester is off to a running start! Instead of taking three classes, the program broke one of the classes into two, so I am taking four classes!! Maybe it won't be as overwhelming as it sounds right now...

So, get this. I had a positive experience with CNBC disclosure with one of my new professors. 

But first, if you want to go back in time and remember how horrible the professors were in my first program, feel free to reread this gem here: Self-Care Above All Else.

Ok, now back to the present! You can use this story to scrub your brain of that 2017 post.

In one of my classes we will have to complete three group projects with the same group. Although I like all of my classmates, I felt a little apprehensive about who would be in my group and what our topic would be. I had previously expressed an interest in women's health but then realized what that could lead to.

I quickly emailed the professor before the groups were assigned. I just flat out said I was an involuntarily childless survivor of infertility and failed IVF and, although I had expressed an interest in a group about women's health, I did not want to get stuck reading articles about pregnancy and post-partum issues. I told her that while I had healed immensely, I still avoided most things baby-related.

And do you know what she wrote back?

She wrote something along the lines of, "Thank you so much for letting me know. Of course, that makes sense, and I will definitely take that into consideration when forming the groups."

Gahhh that felt good! Recognition and validation without judgment or discomfort. It was worth waiting years to hear that kind of support.

And then you know what else?

I got assigned to be in a group with my two friends I've made in the program. And they both happen to be around my age, and neither of them has kids. I am pumped! I'm going to suggest animal therapy for our topic...

5 comments:

  1. Isn't it amazing, when asking for what we need actually results in us getting it? lol Of course, I am all too well aware that sometimes we ask and we don't get it. But we spend so much of our lives being scared to ask, and then having to deal with the consequences. Or at least, I've done that. One of the best things I ever did was ask for help, and then get it. So I loved this post. And "Ha!" to your last sentence.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so glad you wrote to your professor and that your needs were met! This was lovely to read. Happy Wednesday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good on you for reaching out to your professor directly and with confidence. With each of these honest declarations you're both educating and sensitizing others to the realities in our world. This will make it easier for the next generation.
    And that reminds me, of Erik Erikson's 8 stages of psychosocial development: Stage 7 Generativity - "Psychologically, generativity refers to "making your mark" on the world through creating or nurturing things that will outlast an individual. During middle age individuals experience a need to create or nurture things that will outlast them, often having mentees or creating positive changes that will benefit other people."

    ReplyDelete
  4. Score!! lol So glad the prof was sympathetic!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Self-advocacy for the win! That's amazing. I'm glad you got put with your friends, and not stuck reading about post-partum stuff for the course. Blergh. I'm SO GLAD that this program has way better professors. Huzzah for people who listen and have compassion!

    ReplyDelete