Friday, January 6, 2023

Follow-Up Appointment

I continue to encourage you to get an annual mammogram once you are 40 and older. My mammogram last month showed something the doctor wanted to take another look at, so I got orders for a second mammogram and an ultrasound. I went this week. 

I'm sure you can guess I was nervous. It seems like everything makes me nervous. But I reminded myself that I'd been through much more invasive appointments many, many times and followed through with my follow-up appointment. 

And it started out good. Well, really, the whole thing was good. Everyone I encountered was kind and gentle and did their jobs well. 

But halfway through the ultrasound, I started crying. I just got scared. Thinking of the worst case scenario. Thinking of all of the other ultrasounds I'd had. Just thinking how hard life is for everyone everywhere. I felt very, very emotional. So I cried. And the ultrasound technician was just so nice, so kind.

(I'm glad I don't feel bad about crying. Because I cry often. Lol. But seriously, it is so important to feel your feelings. It can be a lot, but it's better than the alternative. Denial is confusing and repression sucks even more. In my opinion anyway.)

I'm not surprised I had an emotional response to my appointment. I usually do for medical things. Part of it comes from feeling scared like a little kid, and part of it comes from enduring infertility and lots of medical appointments (none of which were any good). 

Anyway, the doctor came in, looked at my x-rays and ultrasound, and told me he wasn't sure if what he was seeing was something concerning or just the way my body is. He wants to see me again in six months. So really, it's good news. We have baseline data and we will do another follow-up to check for changes.

Interestingly, I learned that women who do not get pregnant and have children typically have much denser breasts, which makes things like x-rays and ultrasounds more difficult to read. Great... Just another thing about my reproductive system that makes things harder...

But hey, overall, I'm glad. I mean, that's the point of getting a mammogram in the first place--to keep an eye on things. It's important to do. Go ahead and schedule yours if you're due.

8 comments:

  1. I've also just had a mammogram. I also like to keep an eye on things.
    I am glad your results were OK (so were mine).
    wishing you a lovely weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for taking care of your health, Klara. You are important to me! <3

      Delete
  2. I'm really sorry you went through this. I had to have a follow up from my regular mammogram a few years ago - those few weeks waiting were very scary! I'm glad your dr is happy to use this as a baseline. As you say, it is good news. And gives you more information for the future too.

    And yes, I totally agree with regular mammograms. Add to that, colonoscopies, smears - though I no longer need them, and skin/mole checks. Better to deal with things early, rather than late. And to have that feeling of relief when you get the all clear.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That reminds me! I need to make an appointment with a dermatologist to look at a spot on my arm... Thanks Mali!

      Delete
  3. I agree with Mali -- I'm sorry you had a call-back, but better to catch these things early and check them out. I'm glad you're going to be monitored more closely for the next while!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I appreciate the monitoring too. Early detection can be helpful!

      Delete
  4. I am so glad it's a "come back in 6 months" thing, but that can be nerve-wracking, too. I think scary medical things are the perfect things to cry about. I cried when getting a cortisone shot in my knee, and that's not even remotely connected to all the trauma of infertility treatments! I'm glad you got your mammogram, I'm glad they checked stuff out, and I hope in 6 months it's just that you have interesting boobs. :) Sending you love!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha you're the best at making me laugh! :)

      Thanks for sharing that you cried getting a cortisone shot. I cry at everything medical. Seriously, if my patients could see me on the other side of things... I would have never considered a career in healthcare if I hadn't endured infertility and failed treatments.

      Delete