Monday, April 25, 2022

Not A Book Review

I started reading a great book. I'm really savoring it and thinking on it, so it will be awhile before I finish it. I can't write a book review since I haven't finished reading it yet, but I also can't wait until later to tell you about it.

What if you need this book now??


The book is called Homecoming and it is written by the President-elect of the American Psychological Association, Dr. Thema Bryant. I'm 29 pages in and... It feels like I'm coming home to myself, which is exactly the point of the book.

I love to look at a book's table of contents and this one did not disappoint. It begins with an introduction called "Homesick and Disconnected." Then Part One is called "Longing for Home" and includes chapters about recognizing that you need a homecoming, internal signs of disconnection, and external signs of disconnection. Part Two is called "Packing Light: What to Carry on the Journey Home" and contains the following chapters: reparenting yourself, emotional intelligence, community care and self-care, building self-confidence, and spiritual practices. Part Three is called "Recovering from Roadblocks on the Journey Home" and covers the following topics: mourning invisible losses (!!!), healing from breakups and divorce, coping and healing from a toxic workplace, recovering from childhood trauma, and resisting oppression. The book concludes with "Welcome Home: The Journey Continues" and provides additional resources.

I was hooked at the table of contents. I immediately ordered the book.

If you're wondering what you're in for, allow me to share the following quotes that I have highlighted in my reading so far:

  • "This book facilitates your journey back to who you really are."

  • "Before we begin the journey home, honor yourself for the ways you have survived."

  • "I had already experienced some valleys myself and understood the value of being heard, seen, and supported."

  • "Homecoming is about living fully, abundantly, and taking up space--not adjusting to a life of dissatisfaction and discontent."

  • "Coming home to yourself is giving yourself... the things you thought only others could give you."

  • "Some of us become emotionally shut down from exhaustion... The disconnection can be a way of protecting yourself."

  • "Stressful and traumatic experiences may have created within you a core belief about yourself that is untrue."

  • "Homecoming is a decision to occupy your life, to engage with what animates you and breathes new life into the dry bones of your circumstances."

As an aside, in a book that is not even about infertility, she mentions infertility! On page 22 (as she is discussing envy and the complexity of emotions) she writes,"You can grieve your difficulties with infertility and still celebrate the birth of your friend's child." I literally did a double-take when I read that sentence last night. I am so accustomed to never seeing my trauma given as an example of trauma.

Do you feel lost? Are you missing yourself? Are you homesick? The author quotes Cecelia Ahern when she writes, "Home is not a place... It's a feeling."

I am homesick. I am missing myself. Currently, I am depressed. I know this; it's not my first time. But, even with my decades-long experience with depression, I am out of ideas for how to cope. So, I picked this book up. It's easy to read and, even better, reading it makes me feel good.

I couldn't wait until I finished reading it to tell you about it. I had to tell you now.

💛

 

10 comments:

  1. Hmmm. That sounds really good. I'm not quite feeling myself at the moment, so maybe I should read it too. Glad it "makes you feel good." In only 29 pages, that's a real accomplishment, and a great review in just four words.

    Sending hugs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe we are all feeling kinda "off." It's been a tough couple of years... But I firmly believe we all deserve to enjoy our lives.

      Sending hugs right back to you! <3

      Delete
  2. This sounds soooo good. It's awesome when the right book finds you at the right time. Thank you for sharing early! And sending so much love to you. It's been such a tough time. You are very good at caring for yourself, but that can also take a toll. 💜💜💜

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Such. A. Toll. Gahhh! Lol. But... What's the alternative? Stay in bed all day? That only feels good for about a day and then I start to feel worse. So here I am. Reading my book. :)

      Delete
  3. Oh! This looks like an essential read. Thank you for sharing. I find your honesty so refreshing. I thoroughly relate to your state of mind. Like you, I know too well what depression feels like. The past few months have been weirdly challenging for me, too, with bouts of depression that sneak up in unexpected ways. I will tuck away this resource -- sounds like a great way to help tease out what leads my head and heart to be out of sync.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello fellow brain! :) Let me tell you, I am *devouring* this book. I am also reading it with a highlighter in hand. There are so many gems! When I finish reading it, I am going to go back and reread the highlighted parts. Then I will keep it within reach because I will probably reference this book for the rest of my life. It is that good. I hope you enjoy it too!

      Delete
  4. Thanks for the recommendation - will definitely put this on my reading list!

    You are a real champion at self-care. So I am sorry you were running out of ideas how to cope. It must be so tough. But I am also glad this book found you when you needed it.

    Sending you my love ♡

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw thank you, Elaine. I've, uh, had a lot of experience and "opportunities" to figure it out. Life is tough!! But, even when we feel like it, we are never alone. And even when we don't feel like it, there are always strategies we can try. And at the very least, we can always hold on for better times. For example, May is already off to a MUCH better start than March or April. <3

      Delete
  5. Always up for a good book recommendation! Even better when the author clearly "gets it." Thank you, Phoenix!

    ReplyDelete