Wednesday, May 4, 2022

Join Us this Sunday

Well, I am never shy about sharing when I am having a hard time. I think it's important to be honest about that. It's so easy to feel alone in our struggles. But we are not. We are never alone.

March was HARD. Then April sucked too. As the saying goes... Shit happens.

But, if you've been reading my blog you know that I am committed to two things:

  1.  feeling my feelings
  2.  not staying stuck (eventually... I honor when I need to stop and sit with the shit.)
When I'm really, really struggling I turn to what has comforted me in the past: books. Books are where I can feel validated. Books are where I can engage in a healthy escape from my life. Books are where I can learn about myself, the world, and new coping strategies. (P.S. I am still loving my current read, Homecoming by Dr. Thema Bryant. I wrote about it in my last post.

My second foolproof tool is yoga. Not the annoying kind of yoga led by teachers who are happy, yet clueless and inexperienced with life's hardships. And not the competitive exercise kind of yoga that I found to be so common in the suburbs. I love what I consider to be true yoga--the kind that is not flashy or flowery and is simply about connecting your movement with your breath. When I am feeling the most anxious, yoga is the only thing that helps me calm my insides. Of course, I never stop taking my medication, but it's practicing yoga that truly helps me feel better. ;)

So, after two terrible feeling months, I was ecstatic to be invited to participate in a "run through" of Sarah's upcoming yoga class. I marked my calendar and counted down the days. It definitely did not disappoint.

The yoga class led by Sarah was gentle, yet active. She told us what to do and we followed along. I knew I'd be safe in her care, so I let my worries go. Like all great yoga classes should be, Sarah's class was perfect for both beginners and experienced yoga practitioners. 

Additionally, I was just so grateful to be in the company of women I've yet to meet but have been blogging with for over five years. Even more so, I could hardly believe that I was sharing a space online with the woman who wrote the book that gave me hope for life after infertility when I had none (Silent Sorority), a book I read many years before I ever even started blogging.

Wow.

And that's how the whole class felt. Safe. Friendly. Familiar. It was a priceless gift.

Something in me shifted. I woke up the next day, not sore necessarily, but I could tell I had invited movement into my body. It felt so good. I also felt lighter in my mood. I could tell May was going to be a better month.

And here's the great news: you can join us for Sarah's next yoga class! It's free (which is always affordable) and you can sign up HERE. It's on Sunday (cough, Mother's Day, cough) at 12:00 ET.

Let's be honest. If you're anything like me, you may want to sign up but be too nervous to commit. Do it anyway! Then, if you're anything like me, you will sign up but as the day approaches, you will feel anxious and not want to attend. Do it anyway! Then again, if you're anything like me, when the actual time comes you might not want to log in and show up. Do it anyway!

You'll be so glad you did.

Hope to see you there 💜




                                             


8 comments:

  1. You are so sweet! It was lovely to practice with you, too. Look forward to sharing time with you again on Sunday xx
    p.s. Echo your thoughts to those who may be reluctant or nervous about participating. Know you will be among friends ... take a deep breath and join in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am looking forward to class on Sunday. See you soon <3

      And always, thank you so much for your book Silent Sorority and your continued work with revealing the truths of the fertility industry!!

      Delete
  2. Yay! Enjoy the class. I haven't done much yoga for quite a long time, but I do enjoy it. However, not enough to get up at 4 or 6 am! So when I wake up an hour or two later, I'll be hoping you had a great time. lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As much as I love yoga, I won't be waking up for a 4am class either. Ever. Haha.

      Class was great! Sarah is an incredible teacher. She tells us what to do and it's not hard, but I can feel it in my entire body for the rest of the day and the next. I will be keeping my eye out for her future classes!

      Delete
  3. Ooh, that sounds amazing! I'm glad you are starting to come out from under. It's been a rough, rough year. The yoga sounds like such a great restorative and community experience. 💜

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Restorative, yes! That's a perfect description, especially when it's a class designed for the CNBC community. When do we ever get something that's all our own?? <3

      Delete
  4. After a busy Saturday, I decided to revert to couch potato mode on MDay (lol) but I so enjoyed the run-through, and it was so nice to see you there! :) (and Pamela, and so many other familiar faces &/or names!) It's been a while since my last yoga class, but I agree, Sarah is a wonderful teacher! & it was a great way to ease my way back into things.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hadn't taken a yoga class since I moved four years ago. Wait, it was even longer than that... It was six years ago. Wow. I hadn't realized it had been that long. I've had some videos that my best friend made (she's such a good teacher!!) but it was awesome to practice with others. It was especially cool seeing familiar names (in the run-through class and then on Sunday's class), friends like you that I've been communicating with for years but hadn't yet seen. <3

      Delete