Friday, June 3, 2022

Capable of Doing

I'm going through something. I kind of know what it is and I kind of don't. I'm in the "feeling my feelings" part of it. I know I'm not happy about some parts of my life, and I know I'm thrilled about others. I don't really know where I'm going with this... I just wanted to acknowledge it.

So, the news lately. Pretty devastating. Traumatizing. Paralyzing. Frustrating. Angering. Scary.

Have you read anything positive lately? I read about a woman who took her adult brother with intellectual disabilities to his first movie. She wasn't sure if he would like the movie theatre or need to walk around or what, so she scheduled a private screening. How thoughtful is that? Good news: he loved it! I loved reading that short story.

What else... I'm getting along with my mom. I'm getting along with both of my sisters. I'll never take that for granted. I love my family so much, and I know they love me. 

I've decided I don't like spring. Ha! Hahahaha. I mean, it's spring. Who doesn't like spring?? Me, apparently. I love winter. I love snow and quilting on a cold day and sitting around Xmas tree lights and skiing. And spring is the furthest away I am from winter. But really, it's the allergies... Everything is blooming. Everything is just so dang fertile! I can't stop sneezing, my throat is scratchy, and I live with a headache. And in today's times, I'm paranoid that it's covid. Fun stuff.

I've been going out to eat. I couldn't stand it anymore. I went 25 months living like a hermit and it was really affecting my mental health. Even a homebody can only take so much. So I go when it's not busy. I also live in the middle of nowhere. It's not densely populated and that makes me feel better too. I notice I've been tipping more. I'm just so thankful I don't have to cook or do dishes, and everything is so freaking expensive nowadays. So it's part of how I'm giving back to others. As long as the service doesn't completely suck, I'm tipping 25%. Not bragging or trying to be a hero, just trying to help others where I can. 

This post isn't really saying much. But that's okay. I made it. I am where I am. I climbed out of the pit that was despair and depression and chose to put one foot in front of the other. Most days. Some days I just stayed in bed. It's all a part of the process. But for several years there, I quite honestly didn't want to be alive. I wanted to get hit by a truck. Except I didn't. Because that would be really awful for the truck driver. So I came up with a life I could live with. And now I am living it. It's a good one and I am thankful.

Still, I'm going through some major changes. My career, my relationship... These are no small things. I don't know what the other side will look like, but we never do. 

I have big news. I'm back in school! It's such an opportunity and I am extremely grateful. Still, it's hard. But like my mom said, getting your doctorate is supposed to be hard. Ha! She's right. 

I'm throwing myself into this program. I'm studying like I've never studied before. I'm actually doing all of the readings. And taking notes on them. It's like, for the first time in my life, I want to know alllllll the things. I'm doing my assignments with the intention of learning the content, not to just meet my due dates. It's pretty awesome. And hard. But I already mentioned that.

It's only my first semester, but I'm already dipping my toes into research. I'm researching the scientific literature and writing about infertility and living CNBC for my first project. I can't call it research officially because I'm not going through the institutional review board approval process, but, if it all goes well and feels right, I may turn this project into Real Research. 

I will need a couple of you this month or next to interview. Your name and identifying information will remain confidential. Send me an email if you're interested (infertilephoenix at g mail). My project is about the experience of permanent involuntary childlessness after IVF failure.

That's all for all now, friends. My thoughts are scattered and my emotions are at the surface. I feel like big changes are on the horizon. But that's life; nothing stays the same. While enduring this latest period of transition, I will be reading my textbooks. And sewing a little bit. While watching tv at night, I'm working on an applique project for my next quilt top.

I love you all. Take good care of yourselves.


 

6 comments:

  1. Congratulations on going back to studying!
    I can volunteer for your research. You have my email :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Klara!!! We have an assignment in a couple of weeks where we will practice for our personal projects, so I haven't yet learned what I need to know before interviewing 2 - 3 participants. But I will be in touch!! Thank you!!

      Delete
  2. I think studying is wasted on the young. I went back to full-time studying in my 30s, and applied myself like I never did during my first years at university! I hope you're enjoying learning ALL the things!

    I'm also happy to help with your project. Though perhaps my stuff is too out of date! lol (last IVF attempt, 2002, so I will understand!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Studying IS wasted on the young! I told my dad, "Why do we go to college at 18?? I am so much better at school in my 30s and 40s!" :)

      Thank you for volunteering to help!!!! I sent you an email. I'm not at the interview part yet. I still need to learn a few more things in my class, but I will be in touch!

      And now I shall go finish a paper that is due today. That is something I dreaded doing in my 20s but now look forward to, ha!

      Delete
  3. Sneezing right along with you... dh was miserable the other day too. I finally persuaded him to take a claritin. Not sure if it really helped him.

    I am so glad you're enjoying going back to school! I've often said I would love to do that, if only for the experience of being able to research, write and edit a paper all (or mostly) online... I come from the typewriter era! lol (My graduate journalism school class was the very first in the history of the school to use computers, and that was only in our final term, and they were extremely primitive by today's standards!) I would love to help you with your research, but I never actually did IVF... stopped before we got that far. But if there's anything else I can do, let me know...!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I experienced doing research IN the library with card catalogs, so I know a little bit of what you mean. Being able to search scientific databases from home is a trip! I'm having a lot of fun!! Lol. It's pretty crazy how much things have changed in just a couple of decades.

      And thank you for offering to help! If this class project turns into a real research endeavor, then I will need all the people I can get. I limited this project to CNBC after IVF failure but would open up the population to CNBC after infertility and loss for a larger study. I'm seriously considering doing this, but I have a couple of other ideas too. Good thing I don't have to decide this semester!

      Delete