Saturday, June 11, 2022

Response to my Research Problem

I was a little apprehensive about posting my research problem online for my classmates to see. But... I'm also in a totally different place than I used to be. So, while part of me was a little nervous, the rest of me just didn't care at all. This is my life. I am not ashamed or embarrassed about it anymore.

So there it was for all to see, my research problem: Living Permanently Involuntarily Childless After IVF Failure. I introduced my classmates to the idea of pronatalism. And gave them the statistics on how often IVF doesn't work. Well, at the very least, I'm educating my classmates.

I figured nobody would comment. I figured nobody would touch my post with a ten foot pole. I also figured people were thinking, "So that's why she's so on top of all of the assignments; she doesn't have kids!" I was wrong about the first two. I don't know about people's private thoughts.

Interestingly, the post directly after mine is a research project proposal about postpartum depression and the lack of support services for women. It was written by a woman who experienced it after having her son. The very first comment on that post was from a classmate who said, "Congratulations on motherhood!" My boyfriend assured me that the blatant example of pronatalism did not go unnoticed by others. I hope he's right.

But, I was surprised by the support I received. The professor had never considered this research problem before and he thinks it will work perfectly with the research approach I've selected. Then two different classmates commented and a third texted me privately. One classmate shared that she has several friends struggling with IVF failure, saying she doesn't know how to support them and that this is a very important and under-researched topic. The second classmate shared that she has had two miscarriages and is grateful for my topic because it assures her that she is not alone. !!! And then, the third classmate that texted me, shared that one of her closest friends was admitted to the hospital for trying to end her life after IVF failure. !!!!! 

Yes, this is an important population to study. We need support services NOW.

Y'all. My cohort is small. Very small. Three people, not including myself, have already been open about being affected or having someone close to them being affected by infertility and involuntary childlessness. I was glad to receive the support for my project, but I was sad to see what we already know to be true: this shit is common.

I feel a responsibility to women suffering worldwide to keep going. It takes a lot out of me. I usually nap after reading and analyzing research. Writing my first draft wore me out. And this is just a class project, not anything official that can be published. But maybe in the future... 

I am interested in getting published in academic journals. I feel like that would legitimize the need for support services. We will see. One step at a time.

I'm still looking for one more volunteer. If you are a woman who is permanently involuntarily childless after IVF failure and would like to participate in an interview with me (where all identifying information will be kept confidential), please send me an email at infertilephoenix at g mail dot com.

Should this turn into research where I get approval from my school's institutional review board, I will cast the net wider and study our bigger CNBC community (not limited to IVF failure). 

Stay tuned!

And THANK YOU for your support. I wouldn't be where I am today with our community.

💜💜💜

7 comments:

  1. This is awesome... the comments you got from your classmates.
    I wouldn't be where I am today with our community.... I love your sentence. I couldn't agree more with you <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Klara, I am just so, so thankful for you. Thank you for lighting a path for me. Years and years ago I would be sitting in my recliner, tears streaming down my face, and looking at pictures of your walks in the woods. You inspired me to think about what kind of new life I wanted to create for myself. <3

      Delete
  2. The response you got from your classmates - the emails I mean - just shows how important this is. And that your professor is supportive. Those negative thoughts you had about your project and the reaction? I'm glad you were wrong. We really do think the worst things ourselves, don't we? I think it is defensive - trying to prepare ourselves for a tough reaction.

    It's really hard, isn't it, to do something that is so personal and takes so much out of you, because you know it will help others. I take my hat off to you.

    PS. I agree with your boyfriend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I got feedback on my first draft. I have a lot of corrections to make, but I am so grateful for the constructive criticism. I emailed the professor a question about one of the comments he gave me (to get clarification because I was confused by what he meant), and when he wrote back he said again that it was a very good research topic. In fact he said it was "very compelling." I'm glad I have his support. He has really impressed me so far as a professor and as a researcher. I will keep going! :)

      Delete
    2. I am happy that you have such a supportive professor. Yay :-)!

      Delete
    3. I am having the complete opposite experience in my doctoral program compared to my masters program. My professors are kind, knowledgeable, communicative, and supportive!

      Delete