Sunday, June 26, 2022

Infertile and Pro- Legal, Accessible, and Affordable Pregnancy Termination

I am infertile and I strongly believe abortion should be legal, accessible, and affordable.

I cannot claim to be pro-choice because it's not always a choice. A rape that results in pregnancy? That girl or woman didn't get a choice. A very much wanted pregnancy that will risk the mother's life or lead to a baby that cannot live outside the womb? That isn't much of a choice.

I cannot claim to be pro-life because, while I very much am in favor of living, that term is associated with the anti-abortion movement. It's not even accurate. Anti-abortionists who claim to be pro-life do not support the fetus once it's born. Our public education system is grossly underfunded. Our social supports for mothers are pathetic. Pro-life? I don't think so. 

I think pregnancy termination should be safe, legal, affordable, and accessible for all.

I don't want to legislate abortion because it's not my business why someone needs to terminate their pregnancy. There are so many reasons why someone may need this life saving procedure.

This isn't about a person making bad decisions.
This isn't about accepting consequences for your actions.

Contraception can be expensive. Contraception can be unobtainable. Contraception fails. Rape is more common than people think. Marriage without sex sucks. Plus, there are so many things that can go wrong in pregnancy. As an infertile woman with infertile friends, I know this all too well.

Adoption? Don't get me started... Pregnancy and child birth are trauma. Yes, when it's wanted, it can be miraculous, but it's still trauma to the body. When it's not wanted? Don't get me started...

It's not fertile people's responsibility to have babies for infertile people. It's why I didn't adopt. I found ONE adoption agency that did not take funds from anti-abortion organizations and they went bankrupt before I could start the process with them. 

This post may be harsh. It will piss some people off. But I am angry too. It wasn't my choice to be infertile just like it's not other people's choice to be pregnant or to have a non-viable pregnancy.

I feel like writing this post doesn't even matter. It won't change anything. I'm just yelling into the void on the internet. But maybe someone will read it and view things differently. Abortion isn't just about not wanting a baby once you find out you're pregnant. It's much more complex than that.

I wouldn't wish unwanted infertility on anyone.
And I wouldn't wish unwanted pregnancy on anyone either.

Abortion is healthcare. And access to healthcare should be a right.

9 comments:

  1. I see you and I hear you. I have been stripped of my bodily rights.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I see and hear you. <3 I am so sorry for the state of this country and world. I will continue to do what I can in my little spot.

      Delete
  2. Well said. I've just written something similar around the issue of choice. Great minds - or perhaps just angry minds - think alike. (((Hugs!)))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How about thoughtful minds? Thoughtful minds think alike? That's an idea I will be thinking about...

      Now I'm off to read your latest post. <3

      Delete
  3. Yes, yes, yes. I do consider myself pro-choice because while the circumstance is not necessarily your choice, how it is resolved should most definitely be a choice. And now that choice is no longer a legal option everywhere. It fills me with so much anger and disbelief. I feel like so many things, if you don't like abortion, DON'T GET ONE. Sigh

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I consider myself to be pro-choice too. I was just being extremely literal. I like how you worded it though: "how it is resolved should most definitely be a choice." Well said.

      I think I was numb on Friday. Now my anger is growing. I am so angry. So many girls and women will die. And people in charge just... don't care?

      I think even people who say they would never get an abortion would if they had to (ectopic pregnancy, fetus with anencephaly, etc.). Well, if they had to and it was legal, accessible, and affordable.

      Delete
  4. I want to like and applaud and grieve with every single piece of the post and all the comments.

    So much of these politics ignores the complexity of.. life. Of why a pregnancy might not work. Of why a pregnancy might not be the right path for the individual. Of shit that happens that sucks but it happens and you need to have ways to deal with the consequences without worrying about getting arrested.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your comment and thank you for the support. I can only remind myself that nothing stays the same forever. As the people who are not in favor of legalized abortion face the consequences of their opinion (themselves, with loved ones, and on a societal level), maybe they will realize the necessity for this medical procedure to be safe, legal, and accessible.

      Delete