Thursday, October 6, 2022

Feeling Criticized and I'm Just Living My Life

Where I am today with living CNBC after infertility:

I am struggling with the fact that my life is structured so fundamentally differently than everyone else I know, that I feel judged for my choices, and that I have no words to describe how impacted my life is by infertility. Not only that, but I am SICK of feeling like I have to explain myself.

Thank you, Loribeth, for sharing this article by Yael Wolfe called Single & Childless Women Are Tired of Justifying Their Existence. Yes!!!

I admit it. I let my mom get in my head again recently. Or, maybe she never left. 

My mom loves me. I really believe she does. But I also believe what she told me on my 18th birthday which was, "I will always love you but I do not like you." That hurt. Almost 25 years later, it still hurts. Because it still feels true.

If I'm not doing what she wants or thinking what she thinks, then I am wrong. It is embarrassing and annoying that I still feel affected by her words. But yet, our last conversation from a couple of weeks ago is still lingering in my mind. She was questioning my relationship and making judgments, and it really pissed me off because she does not try to understand my life, my losses, or what I need. 

I was also trying to picture my grandmother--my mom's mother--criticizing my mom's life choices when she was 42 and married with a 12 year old, a 20 year old, and a 24 year old. I doubt that ever happened.

One thing that bothers me is that I'm always thinking about how I would mother myself. I wouldn't criticize a 42-year-old daughter for moving or getting divorced or quitting extremely bad jobs. I wouldn't say things similar to "that's always at the top of your list" if she talked about how infertility continues to affect her life. I would encourage her, comfort her, and praise her. So I try to give myself what my mother doesn't. But I will be honest, I long to hear those sentiments from my mom. But she can't say any of them, not even if I give her a script.

It sucks. I've done so much, overcome so much, and I am still criticized. What I do is never the right thing. However I live, it is not good enough for her. I know it's not me. I know it's her.
But it still hurts.

And it's not just my mom. My sisters don't get it either. I always feel criticized. My niece and nephew, both of whom are in their late 20s, are treated with more respect and allowed for more autonomy than me. It's always been this way. It is freaking WEIRD.

But back to Yael's article... I deeply appreciate when I read something and I feel understood. It's even better when it helps me understand my own experience more. Like these quotes:

  • "I’d really prefer to focus my energy on dealing with my own stuff. It’s a lot. I really don’t need to be dealing with societal expectations, invasive questions, insults, criticisms, and irrelevant opinions."

  • "I never asked for this--to be the poster child for women's "alternative lifestyles." To have to push back against pronatalism and sexism even within my own family."

  • "It takes a lot out of you to have to constantly justify your life circumstances to others."


I think, as a woman who wanted children and planned her entire life around raising them, infertility and being childless not by choice continues to affect my life in ways that even I don't yet understand. So when I am criticized for even the smallest thing, I feel attacked for something that was entirely out of my control.

I'm just playing the hand I was dealt.

And getting criticized for it.

*****

My parting question is this: How did you stop explaining yourself? 

I think that's what I need to do. I kept thinking that if I just explained my reasoning, then others would understand (and support) my choices. But, this is not proving to be true. I just need to stop.



13 comments:

  1. Hi there, I appreciate your blog and have read for quite a while. My therapist recommended the following book to me "Adult Children of Emotionally Immature Parents: How to Heal from Distant, Rejecting, or Self-Involved Parents" and it has been a life changing book for me. Lots of love to you, take care!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello! Yes! Thank you!! I have read this book. :) I should probably revisit it. I also read Set Boundaries, Find Peace and that was really helpful. I should probably revisit that book too. At least read over what I highlighted to remind myself of some strategies. Thank you for the reminder. And thank you for commenting! <3

      Delete
    2. Another book that was helpful was "Will I Ever Be Good Enough? Healing the Daughters of Narcissistic Mothers" by Karyl McBride, PhD. Eye opening.

      Delete
    3. Ohhh. Thanks Jess! I will check out this book right now.

      Delete
    4. Yep. I just ordered this book from thrift books dot com. Thank you!!

      Delete
  2. Assuming you are completely financially independent, then you need to handle your mother's criticism by walking away whenever she criticizes you. If you are on the phone, and your mom starts questioning your career choices, then you politely tell her that you made the right choice for yourself, and that you have to go. You hang up each time she criticizes you and eventually she may stop doing this. It's harder to do in person, but you can do that if you need to.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jaclyn! I greatly appreciate your comment. And that's a perfect strategy, thank you! That prevents me from getting defensive or going into an explanation. And it ends it. Perfect.

      Delete
  3. Oof, so much hard here, so much hurt. I am so sorry that your relationship with your mom is so fraught. I can commiserate a bit... I have a book that my therapist gave me when we were still trying to adopt called "Mothering Without a Map." But I agree with you, sometimes you have to give yourself the mothering that you wish you had. Or find mothering in other places. It is so hard to get to a place where you try to accept that your mom is never going to change. :( Sending you a huge hug.

    I love Yael Wolfe, too.

    I think it is hard to stop justifying. I have been working really hard on not explaining as much and definitely not apologizing. It's hard, hard work. I think unfortunately as women we are trained to justify and apologize, and then when you fall outside the norm it is just insidious. But no one is owed an explanation for your life, for your decisions. I wish there was some secret sauce, but I think it's just constant, constant heart work.

    Sending you tons of hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I cannot even begin to imagine feeling comfortable talking to another adult about their relationship. I don't know what people need from their primary partner in a cohabitating relationship!

      If I was a mother I would ask, are you happy? Are you safe? Are you growing? Those are the important things.

      I accept that my mother is not going to change. I've decided to have a relationship with her anyway. I've read a lot of books to help me know how to have a relationship with her that doesn't hurt me. Obviously, I am still learning... But it was going really well for quite awhile so I guess I'm feeling hurt because it didn't stay that way. I'm sad I will never have an adult relationship with my mom.

      Thank you, Jess. <3

      Delete
  4. Oh damn, I was sure I had replied to this blog! I must have written it and not pressed "publish." Doh!

    I am so so sorry your mother said that to you when you were 18, and has since criticised you - especially when things had been going well between you. Her words say so much more about her than they do about you - her inability to be the adult, to appreciate the wonderful thoughtful adult you have become, to be open-minded enough to see that there are different ways to live good lives. You are both losing out as a result of her inability to listen, to understand, to empathise. So are your sisters and nieces. Maybe it's a bit of envy, of intimidation of your intelligence and independence and strength, as well as judgement?

    I know when there are criticisms that we almost immediately become those sensitive kids wanting approval! So I'm hugging that little IP kid who was criticised, as well as the amazing adult who still wants her mum to be proud of her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Mali. I really appreciate your comment. And I really appreciate your hugs for "that little IP kid who was criticised." I've been struggling with all of this lately. I don't know why and I'm not sure how to move through it. So I posted here. And
      I'm thankful for all of the support and suggestions. <3

      Delete
  5. Yael Wolfe is brilliant, isn't she??

    Having just returned from a visit with my aging parents, I can relate... my parents have been mostly supportive for most of my life, but as she's gotten older, my mother's filters have weakened, and I sense some resentment from her -- she's come up with a few zingers that have made for a few "ouch" moments. I mostly just ignore these comments, or try to. I know that, at this point in her life, she's not going to change.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, my mom is not going to change either. Things were going so well for awhile...

      But she's been pretty mean the last couple of weeks so I'm just giving our relationship lots of space.

      Delete