Monday, October 17, 2022

Permission To Quit

In today's go-go-go, never-give-up world, I love it when I hear a message that it's ok to quit.

I started a new, ambitious project. I started a Grandmother's Flower Garden quilt. I want to hand sew the entire quilt top, and then I want to hand quilt it when I am done. This might take me twenty years to finish, lolol. That's okay with me. I've got the time. I'll just work on it off and on, in between all of the other things I want to make.

Last week the fabric shop near me was having a sale, so I went to pick out some fabric for my flowers. I don't really know anyone here, so it was extremely nice to run into two familiar faces from my monthly quilt group at the shop. I had brought a couple of flowers I made to match the colors, so I showed them. They are both experienced quilters and complimented me on what I'd done well and gave me tips as I make progress on this project.

Then one of the women said the best thing. She said, "And you know, if one day you are just done with sewing these flowers and you don't want to make even one more, they are great for applique. You don't have to finish the quilt."

I loved that woman in that moment. She recognized my enthusiasm, encouraged it, and also spoke from experience when she shared that I'm allowed to change my mind about the project.

It's a message we all rarely hear, and it was music to my ears. Of course, I still want to make all of these flowers and sew them together and make a Grandmother's Flower Garden quilt. 

But, I don't have to.

She gave me permission to quit. :)





6 comments:

  1. Those flowers are awesome! Love it when there's someone unexpectedly wise in unexpected places. Yup, repurpose if the flowers no longer serve you for the quilt, what a great metaphor for finding another purpose for something you spent time on but doesn't work for you anymore. I also like your idea of "there is no deadline for this." Take the pressure off! Again, beautiful flowers, I can imagine how colorful and quirky your quilt will be!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I didn't even think of that--the relieving ourselves from the pressure of a deadline. It wouldn't be fun if I felt rushed to finish... Even if that "rushing" was five years from now.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. I'm partial to the radio/tape player... And I don't even like pink! :)

      Delete
  3. OMG, this is going to be an awesome project! And yes, you don't need to feel pressured to finish -- it's the making (and the shopping! lol) that's the fun part, right?

    But if you do ever finish, or do something else with the flowers, we would LOVE to see it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the enthusiasm, Loribeth! Yes, shopping for fabric is part of the fun part!! :) And yes, I enjoy the process of making the quilt too. I had no idea I would enjoy sewing on the couch while watching old tv shows and movies so much. I'll post when I finish... Just give me couple of years! :)

      Delete