Wednesday, July 26, 2023

Conversation with a 6 year old

I was working with a kid earlier this week. He was probably thinking about who he used to work with, my co-worker who just had a baby and is out on maternity leave. But for whatever reason, he looked at me and said...

Kid: You're not a mom.

Me: Nope, I'm not a mom.

Kid: But you will be a mom.

Me: No, I won't be a mom.

Kid: Why?

Me: Not all girls are moms.

Kid: Why?

Me: Because not everybody's body works like that.

Kid: Oh.

And that was it. He accepted my answer.

He didn't ask any further questions. He didn't suggest adoption. He didn't offer me his kids. Ok, fair enough, he's only 6 and doesn't have any kids to offer. But seriously...

That kid was a breath of fresh air.

3 comments:

  1. Yes, and if only we were all as honest with kids as you were. They accept things so much more easily than adults.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loooooooove this. Simple, and just, "oh." So many messages that if you're a woman you must be a mom and it's "weird" not to be for whatever reason.

    I don't think he would have asked you if you were a dad if you'd been a man.

    ReplyDelete